If you have never heard about hand tracing, then this article is for you. In this blog post, I am going answer the most frequently asked questions, updated to 2023.
I'll also explain the benefits of hand tracing and give some easy-to-do art and drawing ideas.
I will also mention how you can preserve the memory of a child's first drawing into a keychain, bracelet or necklace.
If you like this article, make sure you also check out my other two blog posts:
But now, let's find out more about this fun activity!
What is Hand Tracing?
Hand Tracing is a form of visual art where you draw a subject, generally an animal or flower, by tracing the shape of your own hand.
The result is often called a hand tracing art or drawing.
What is a Hand Tracing Drawing?
A handprint drawing is the visual art generated by using hand tracing techniques.
Is Hand Tracing Beneficial for a Child?
According to the most recent studies (source: babysparks.com), hand tracing is beneficial for toddlers or children aged 2-3 years because it helps develop their:
- Fine Motor Skills
- Pre-Writing Skills
- Concentration and Focus
- Visual-Spatial Skills
- Creativity and Drawing Skills
Hand Tracing and Mindfulness
Hand Tracing can help children practice mindfulness in a fun and engaging way. Here's a fun exercise to do (source: aetna.com):
- Sit quietly and take a few slow, deep breaths
- Stretch out your fingers on one hand
- With your other hand, slowly trace around your thumb. Breathe in as you trace up one side of the thumb, and breathe out as you trace down the other side
- Do the same for the other four fingers, tracing up and breathing in, tracing down and breathing out
- Switch hands and do it again. This time, pause slightly at the top and bottom of each finger
- Think about which method you prefer today: with or without the pause
Hand Tracing vs Hand Printing
Hand printing is also a form of visual art. The main difference is that hand printing art is done by impressing the open hand, soaked in a color, on a sheet of paper.
On the other hand, hand tracing is done by tracing the contour of the hand.
How is Hand Tracing Done?
Hand tracing is generally done as follows:
- Place your hand on a sheet of paper
- With a pen or crayon, trace the contour of your hand
- Add more details and start coloring the whole drawing
For extra fun, spread newspapers all over the floor, get someone to lie down and let your child trace around their body (source: helpmykidlearn.ie).
For parents with small children (source: howwerie.com):
If your kid is little, you can draw the contour of his hand and the details for him, then let him color the drawing.
Hand Tracing Ideas for 2023
The following is a list of hand tracing ideas for 2022 (source: arteza.com):
- Adorable Dog
- Girl with Flying Hair
- Smiling Goose
- Short-Haired Woman
- Cartoon Chick
- Friendly Bull
- Singing Alpaca
- Cartoon House
- Cute Car Loaded with Presents
- Perky Peacock
If you want to turn your child's art into jewelry, we at Forever Drawn are happy to help.
Simply choose your product and upload a photo of your child's drawing and we will do the rest!